Summer Scholars Program
The program started in 1983, and has brought hundreds of the best science and engineering undergraduates in the country to MIT for graduate-level materials research. A wide range of project areas is available; see previous years' programs for example projects. The application must be submitted by
February 12, 2016.
- Only US citizens/permanent residents may apply
- Map of the city of Cambridge, showing important landmarks, facilities and restaurants close to MIT
- Program dates: June 7, 2015 - August 6, 2016
- Stipend $6500 + round trip travel expenses up to $1000
- Open to students who are starting their junior or senior year at any college or university, other than MIT in September of 2016
- Selection is based on application, academic history and recommendation letters
- Application deadline : February 12, 2016
- Awards will be announced on or shortly after: March 14, 2016
- Arriving late or departing early is not permitted. You must attend all program dates. We work hard to create a program that immerses students in the local environment and meets MIT's curricular standards. It is important for students to be present for all aspects of the program.
Projects available vary from year to year. Interns select their own projects from faculty presentations given the first few days of the program. What previous years' students researched can give you a good idea of the sorts of projects available.